Tuesday, June 03, 2008

A new laptop


I'm blogging on a new laptop. The old one was a huge and incredibly heavy Toshiba Qosmio. It was great when I first got it and needed a desktop replacement for gaming and didn't want to move the thing (it actually hurt me if I carried it too long). And, when it still worked. Now, the old Toshiba's optical drive has been broken for a year, it has started overheating and dying on me and the power cable has to be jiggled about just right, and I want a laptop that is actually portable.

So huzzah for the HP DV2799 special edition. Performance seems good so far, though I haven't tried anything terribly demanding (beyond running Vista). Features are rock solid with everything from fingerprint scanning to a little camera and microphone at the top and an HDMI out. The design avoids the plain, minimalist box or 'boy racer chic' dichotomy that usually limits computer design. The computer came recommended and it appears TrustedReviews have steered me right again. So far, I like it.

No comments: